The first evening we arrived it was full moon and the moon was extrelmy big and beautiful.
We ate in a beautiful and delicious restaurant La Concepción. You will pay a lot comparing to other restaurants, but it was every cent worth it.
The following day we visited the port and the city center of Valparaíso. In this case, pictures can describe more than 1000 words:
On the last picture you can see a phrase on the wall “we are not hippies, we are happies”. And that is how they life in Valparaíso. You must be happy while visiting this city, because the colorful buildings, the graffitis and the open-minded locals are just lovely.
Third day: we went to Viña del Mar to visit the beach. You can catch all buses with the number 600 or there is also a Metro going to Viña del Mar (card needed). It takes you about 30 minutes and we swear, that they are driving like “there is nothing to lose”! So you can imagine that sometimes we were a bit afraid and we are thankful that nothing happened. The beach in Viña del Mar is beautiful but at weekends crowded.
We spent also time for cooking some delicious salmon with vegetables and rice:
4rth and last day: it was another sunny day and so we decided to go to La Salina, which is a bit further than Viña del Mar and takes you about 40 minutes to go there by bus. All buses which are going to Concón, are passing by La Salina. A village with a cute and small beach.
What else to do in Valparaíso:
- There is a big Mercado in Valparaíso, where you can find fresh vegetables, meat, seafood and fruits.
- The city Concón has beautiful beaches. It takes you about 50 minutes by bus from Valparaíso.
- You can take some cooking classes, where a local cooks with you a tipical dish of Chile.
- Two times a day it starts a free walking tour (10 AM and 3 PM).
- In Valparaíso are some famous and old elevator. Go and use them. Most of them costs 100 pesos (660 pesos is 1 USD).
- If you like to go to the Easter Island, then is Valparaíso a good starting point. Go and ask in the tourist office, if the boat of the army leaves to the Island and maybe you are so glad to have the chance to go with them. It is worth to check it out!
- You can drink fresh and natural juices everywhere. They are delicious and healthy as well. We enjoyed a mango juice in a small bar.
Two times we’ve been to a very good gym close to the hostel (sportlife). And the best thing was, we could make our workout for free. The machines were really good and if you like to power you out, this gym has every machine you need. As well you can visit some group courses or just use a running machine.
We stayed four nights in the Hostel Casa Volante.It is a really nice hostel with breakfast included. They serve fresh fruits all day long and we meet very nice people. The only negative point was, during the night it was really noisy. There were some loud and night-active birds.
Now we are going further to San Pedro de Atachama. We make a quick stop for one night in La Serena, because the bus drive to San Pedro de Atachama is 24 hours (1 day!!) – that busride would be way too long.
Powerfully your Julia